Jul 12, 2023
Vegetable Brown Rice Zosui
We’re all about earthy flavors and thick soups to fight of the cold weather symptoms. Time to warm up with this deliciously comforting vegetable brown rice Zosui. Zosui is made by adding cooked rice to a soup broth, making it an ideal cold weather meal.
Ingredients (for servings of 3-4):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 1 cup (rice measuring cup) short or medium grain brown rice
- Water to fill to water level 1 for “BROWN RICE”
To Prepare Separately:
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 leaves cabbage, chopped
- 8 oz. bamboo shoots, sliced and boiled (drain if using canned bamboo shoots)
- 3 leaves rainbow Swiss chard, chopped
- 3 green onions, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 2 eggs
1. Measure the rice using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse rice quickly once, drain and place in the inner cooking pan. Add water to the corresponding water level for “BROWN RICE.” Cook the rice using the “BROWN” setting.
2. When the rice cooker begins to count down to completion, start preparing the soup. In a large clay cooking pot or a Dutch oven, place chicken broth, cabbage, bamboo shoots, stem portion of the Swiss chard and turn the heat to medium high. Once the broth boils, add the cooked brown rice and cover with lid.
3. Cook for 3 minutes, add leaves of Swiss chard, green onions, soy sauce and mirin to the pot then place the lid back on the pot and cook until the broth boils again.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Pour over the surface of the soup, turn off the heat and cover the lid.
5. Allow eggs to cook for 2 minutes then serve in bowls. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation.