This is a classic Japanese dish in which udon is served in a hot savory soup and topped with crisp tempura. Sprinkle shichimi for a light kick!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 6 cups dashi or 2 tsp. instant dashi powder with 6 cups water
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 2 tsp. salt
To Prepare Separately:
4 servings tempura
- 4 servings udon noodle, boiled
- Shichimi (Japanese spices mixed with chili pepper)
1. Place all ingredients of soup in a large pot and bring to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Make tempura.
3. In a medium pot, bring water (not included in the ingredients list) to boil, add udon noodle and boil for 10 seconds to reheat. At the same time, reheat the soup from step 1.
4. Drain warmed udon and distribute in individual serving bowls.
5. Pour heated soup over noodle and top with tempura.
6. Serve while hot with condiment.
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation