Jul 12, 2023
A creative way to use avocado slices, it's obvious where the name for this sushi roll comes from. Hungry for more?
Ingredients (makes 1 roll):
- 1 full sheet nori (seaweed)
- 1-1/4 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1/2 tsp. roasted white sesame seeds
- Cooked eel (defrosted or canned), cut into 3/4” W x 8” L
- 2 cucumber sticks, 1/4” W x 8” L
- 2 imitation crab sticks, about 4” L
- 1/2 avocado
Water for hands:
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 stalks chives
- Chili sauce
For Dipping and Condiments:
- Soy sauce
- Gari (pickled ginger)
You will need a bamboo mat (makisu).
1. Prepare the bamboo mat. Wrap the bamboo mat completely on both sides with plastic wrap. In a small bowl, mix water and rice vinegar for wetting hands.
2. Place a nori sheet horizontally on a cutting board, with shiny side facing down. Wet hands with vinegar water from step 1. Spread the sushi rice evenly on top of the nori sheet. Make sure to cover the entire sheet.
3. Sprinkle roasted white sesame seeds over the rice. Flip over the nori with sushi rice and sesame side down, and place on the bamboo mat towards the bottom edge of the mat.
4. Add fillings. Place eel, cucumber and imitation crab, lengthwise at center of the nori.
5. Roll up the bamboo mat, pressing forward to shape sushi into a cylinder. Press down once at the halfway mark to make sure all ingredients are positioned in place, and roll forward.
6. Press the bamboo mat firmly and remove from the roll. Set it aside.
7. Prepare the avocado slices. Remove stone and peel the avocado, then place the flat side down. Thinly slice short way across. Spread avocado slices by gently tapping on the top while using the side of the knife as a guide to elongate the avocado. Make sure there is enough avocado to cover the top of the roll.
8. Transfer avocado slices using the side of a knife. Carefully place slices on top of the roll.
9. Cover the roll with plastic wrap. Then cover and gently press with the bamboo mat to hug avocado slices to the roll.
11. Remove the plastic wrap and transfer to a serving plate. Add optional topping to complete the caterpillar look. Add chives as antennae between the first and second pieces. Use mayonnaise and chili sauce to form eyes on the first piece and accents of color on all other pieces.
10. Remove the bamboo mat and cut into 8-10 pieces over the plastic wrap.
12. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and gari. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation
Products you may be interested: