Jul 12, 2023
Garlicky Shrimp on Rice
Deliciously garlicky shrimp dishes are perfect with white rice. This famous Hawaiian dish is cooked using local farm-raised shrimp. Enjoy the savory shrimp, shell on, or removed for easier eating.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 head garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. extra-large raw shrimp, deveined, headless, shell-on
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) short or medium grain white rice
- Water to fill to water level 2 for "WHITE RICE"
- 2 Tbsp. all‑purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. paprika powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (adjust for taste)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 4 wedges lemon
1. Marinate the shrimp. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients except shrimp from the "For Shrimp" list. Pat dry the shrimp and place in a plastic bag. Add marinade to the bag and distribute, making sure shrimp is well coated. Marinate for at least one hour, or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Cook the rice. Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse rice until water clears, drain and place in the inner cooking pan. Add water to water level 2 for “WHITE RICE.” Cook using the “REGULAR” (if available), or the "WHITE RICE" setting.
When rice completes cooking, gently fluff the rice using a rice spatula.
3. Coat the shrimp. Combine flour, paprika and cayenne pepper in a mixing bowl. Add the marinated shrimp, toss to coat, and set aside. Reserve remaining marinade.
4. In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add coated shrimp and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Turn heat off, pour remaining marinade into the pan and mix to coat shrimp. Cook for 10 seconds over medium heat, or until the marinade sizzles. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Quickly remove from heat.
5. Serve rice onto individual plates. Top with shrimp and drizzle sauce over.
6. Sprinkle parsley and serve with a lemon wedge. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation.
Products you may be interested: