Oct 13, 2021
Homemade Butter Croissants
Your weekend breakfast is about to get a whole lot better with these flaky and buttery homemade croissants. And all you have to do is let your breadmaker prepare the dough and you get to do the fun part!
Ingredients (makes 24 croissants):
- 2/3 cup (160mL) water
- 2 (100g) large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups (288g) bread flour
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. (35g) sugar
- 3 Tbsp. (12g) dry milk
- 1 tsp. (5.6g) salt
- 3 Tbsp. (42g) butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. (4.2g) active dry yeast (or 2 tsp. (6g) rapid rise yeast)
For kneading into dough:
- 1 cup (227g) butter, softened
For egg glaze:
- 1 (50g) large egg, beaten
- 4 tsp. (18mL) water
* Please note that these measurements are for the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme® Breadmaker (BB-CEC20). If you are using another breadmaker, you may need to adjust the ingredients.
1. Following the instruction manual, prepare the dough using the ingredients listed.
2. Remove the dough from the baking pan. Place in a greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow to rest 30 minutes for the 2-lb. breadmaker or 20 minutes for the 1-lb. breadmaker.
3. Once the dough is rested, take it out and roll it into a rectangle. For 2-lb. breadmaker, roll dough into 20 inch x 14 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface, use 1/3 cup of the softened butter and butter 2/3 of the dough while leaving 1/3 unbuttered. For 1-lb. breadmaker, roll dough into 1/4 inch thick rectangle, use about 1/3 cup of the softened butter and butter 2/3 of the dough while leaving 1/3 unbuttered.
4. Fold dough into thirds and repeat step 3. Add flour to rolling surface as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Cover completely with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or overnight for 2-lb. breadmaker or 20 minutes for 1-lb. breadmaker.
5. Once you take the dough out of the refrigerator, cut it into triangles. For 2-lb. breadmaker, cut the dough into thirds and roll each piece into 1/4 inch in thickness, then cut into 8 triangles. The base of each triangle should be about 3-1/2 inch wide. For 1-lb. breadmaker, roll dough into 1/4 inch in thickness and cut dough into 12 triangles. The base of each triangle should be about 5 inches.
6. Roll each triangle loosely starting from the base, lay with seam side down. Curve the ends.
7. Place on a greased baking sheet. Allow to rise for 40 to 50 minutes or until size doubles.
8. Brush the croissants lightly with the egg glaze.
9. Bake in an oven. For 2-lb. breadmaker, preheat oven to 375°F and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown and flaky. For 1-lb. breadmaker, preheat oven to 375°F to 400°F and bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Voila!
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation.