May 09, 2022
Pad Thai Shrimp Mixed Rice
Pad Thai is a popular Thai stir-fried rice noodle dish. This recipe, Zojirushi-style, replaces the rice noodles with rice - it's tasty and deliciously filling!
Ingredients (serves 4):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) jasmine rice
- 2 oz. ketchup
- 2 oz. fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 8 oz. water
To Prepare Separately:
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 Tbsp. shallot, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 12 oz. raw shrimp, shelled and cut into thirds
- 4 green onions, cut into 1” slivers
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, slightly crushed
- 1 lime, quartered
1. Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker and place in the inner cooking pan.
2.Add ketchup, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, red chili flakes and water to the inner cooking pan and mix with rice using the rice spatula. Cook the rice using the “MIXED" setting.
3. While the rice cooks, heat peanut oil in a large sauté pan until hot. Add minced shallot and garlic and cook until soft – about 2 minutes.
4. Add grated carrots and cook until soft – about 1 minute.
5. Move ingredients to one side of the pan and add the beaten egg. Cook until firm, chopping with the spatula into pieces.
6. Add shrimp and cook until just barely done – about 2 minutes. Remove all ingredients from the pan and hold warm until rice has finished cooking.
7. When rice completes cooking, gently fold in the cooked shrimp and egg mixture with rice spatula.
8. Place rice onto individual serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with green onions, cilantro, peanuts and a lime wedge.
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation.