Don’t shy away from these donuts just because they’re gluten-free! Even without gluten they’re super fluffy and super delicious, your friends won’t even know they’re gluten-free! TIP: Throw them in the microwave for 15 seconds if they get cold and hard.
Ingredients (for BB-CEC20, makes approx. 20 donuts):
- 1-1/3 cups (320mL) (75°F) milk
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. (4.5g) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. (14g) coconut oil
- 2 cups (296g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup (140g) potato starch
- 1/3 cup (58g) potato flour
- 1/2 cup (64g) tapioca flour
- 1 cup (62g) dry milk
- 2 tsp. (5g) xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup (66g) sugar
- 1 tsp. (5.6g) salt
- 3 tsp. (8.4g) active dry yeast
- Oil for frying (coconut oil recommended)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
*You will need a donut piping bag or thick plastic zipper bag with one corner cut at 2/3” and parchment paper (cut into 3-1/4” squares for the number of donuts you are making).
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour ingredients (brown rice flour, potato starch, potato flour, tapioca flour, skim milk, xanthan gum) and sugar well with a whisk.
2. Make sure the kneading blades are properly attached, and add the liquid ingredients (milk, beaten egg, lemon juice) and coconut oil to the baking pan.
3. Add the flour mixture from step 1 and salt to the baking pan. Make a small indentation in the flour with a spoon, and place the yeast there. (Make sure that the yeast does not touch the liquid, salt and oil.)
4. Place the baking pan in the Home Bakery, and set to REGULAR DOUGH course for BB-PAC20 model, BASIC DOUGH course for BB-CEC20 model and DOUGH SETTING for BB-HAC10 model, and press START. For BB-PAC20/BB-CEC20 models, when the add beeps sound, use a rubber spatula to push down flour that may be stuck to the side. Please be careful if the kneading blades are moving.
5. When the DOUGH course completes, transfer the dough to the piping bag. On each 3-1/4” square parchment paper, pipe the dough and draw a 3 inch circle. To fix its shape, wet your finger with water and reform the dough.
6. Place each dough with parchment paper onto a baking pan with at least 2” height. Cover with foil and allow dough to rise in an oven preheated to 98°F for 30 minutes or until they doubles in size.
7. Deep fry the dough with parchment paper in oil heated to 360°F (do not remove dough from parchment paper as it can be easily removed later). Turn donut over a few times and fry for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown Transfer to a baking rack.
8. Make the glaze by mixing powdered sugar, water, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Remove parchment paper and coat donuts with glaze while still hot. Return to rack to drain excess and let dry.
9. Serve while fresh.
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation