Originating in Denmark, this is one of many sweet pastries from around the world favored in Japan. This flaky bread with sweet apple filling can be part of a relaxing breakfast, or a satisfying mid-afternoon snack.
Ingredients (for BB-CEC20, makes 18 pastries):
- 2/3 cup (160mL) water
- 2 (100g) large eggs, beaten
- 2-1/4 cups (288g) bread flour
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. (35g) sugar
- 3 Tbsp. (12g) dry milk
- 1 tsp. (5.6g) salt
- 3 Tbsp. (42g) butter
- 1-1/2 tsp. (4.2g) active dry yeast or 2 tsp. (6g) rapid rise yeast
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and 1/2 inch diced
- 3 Tbsp. butter
For kneading into dough:
- 1 cup (227g) butter, softened
- 1 (50g) large egg, beaten
- 4 tsp. (18mL) water
1. Following the instruction manual, prepare the dough using the ingredients listed.
2. Make apple filling. In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, water, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir over medium heat and bring to boil. Cook 1 minute, then add in half amount of apple. Bring back to boil over medium-high heat and cook for 8 minutes, or until soft, stirring often. Add remaining apples and cook for another 6 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
3. Remove the dough from the baking pan. Place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator and allow to rest 30 minutes for the 2-lb. breadmaker or 20 minutes for the 1-lb. breadmaker.
4. On a lightly floured (not included in the ingredients list) board, roll dough into a rectangle. Roll dough into a 20" x 14” sheet for 2-lb. breadmaker, and 13" x 14” sheet for 1-lb. breadmaker. Use about 1/3 cup of the softened butter and butter 2/3 of the sheet while leaving 1/3 of sheet unbuttered (for future folding).
5. Starting from unbuttered side, fold sheet into thirds and repeat step 4 twice more. Add flour to rolling surface as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Cover completely with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or overnight for 2-lb. breadmaker, or 20 minutes for 1-lb. breadmaker.
6. Cut sheet into squares. For 2-lb. breadmaker, cut the sheet into thirds and roll each piece into 10-1/2" x 7” rectangle, then cut each rectangle into 6 squares. Each square should be about 3-1/2” wide. For 1-lb. breadmaker, cut the sheet in half and roll each piece into a 7" x 7” square, then cut each square into 4 smaller squares. Each square should be about 3-1/2” wide.
7. Place squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Fold in each corner about 1” toward the center and press to set.
8. Spritz with water and allow to double in size in a warm place for 40 to 50 minutes.
9. Brush lightly with egg glaze.
10. Place spoonful of the apple filling from step 2 in center of each pastry. Bake in an oven preheated to 375°F for 12 minutes, or until golden brown and flaky.
11. Remove from the oven and place each pastry on a rack to cool to room temperature. Dust pastry with optional powdered sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation