Oct 27, 2023
Yin Yang Hot Pot: Kimchi Hot Pot
A hot pot with a kick! In our version we cook pork belly and veggies in a kimchi soup base, but swap out the pork with mushrooms, or substitute any other ingredient to make this truly yours! Try this hot pot side-by-side with our Yosenabe recipe!
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 1/2 lb. thinly sliced pork belly, cut into 2” length
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sake (Japanese cooking wine)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 8.5 oz. kimchi, squeeze out excess liquid, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 (6" in length) Tokyo negi (Japanese green onion), cut diagonally into 3" length
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Tbsp. thinly sliced dried red chili, seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Korean chili powder
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 7 oz. tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
*This recipe was developed for the Gourmet d’Expert® Electric Skillet for Yin Yang Hot Pot (EP-PFC20). Adjustments may be necessary when using other models.
1. In a small bowl, add sliced pork belly, soy sauce and sake. Mix to combine and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
2. After the pork marinates, heat sesame oil in a frying pan, and sauté kimchi and the marinated pork from step 1. When the color of the pork changes, add tomato, onion, Tokyo negi, cilantro, dried chili, and sauté until fragrant. Add sugar, Korean chili powder and mix to combine.
3. Place water, salt and black pepper into one side of the Deep Pan of Gourmet d’Expert® Electric Skillet for Yin Yang Hot Pot (EP-PFC20). Add the vegetable mixture from Step 2, while cooking another hot pot in the other side. Set temperature to HIGH.
*Be sure to add water or other liquids like soup stock to both sides when cooking with the Deep Pan. If one side is empty while cooking, the nonstick coating may be damaged by the heat.
4. When the kimchi mixture reaches a boil, add tofu and turn down the heat to SIMMER. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
Take cooked ingredients from the skillet and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation