Dec 01, 2022
Two Layer Japanese Gelatin
Here's a simple Japanese dessert recipe made using hot water ready in your water boiler. Gravity helps to separate the two layers while the mixture hardens.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 2 envelopes (14g) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (60mL) cold water
- 7 oz. (210mL) boiling water (212°F or 208°F)
- 7 oz. (210mL) soy creamer
- 5 oz. (150g) sweet bean paste*
- 1/2 tsp. (1g) Matcha (green tea powder)*
- 1 tsp. (3g) powdered sugar
*Available in your local Asian grocery store
1. Place cold water in a bowl, sprinkle both envelopes of gelatin and let stand 1 minute. Pour boiling water in the bowl and stir until gelatin completely dissolves, about 3 minutes.
2. Add soy creamer to the bowl and mix well.
3. Add sweet bean paste to the bowl and mix well.
4. Pour mixture into a 4" x 6" container and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
5. Mix Matcha and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Remove the gelatin from the container, dust with Matcha-sugar, cut into bite size squares and serve.