Mar 01, 2021
Halloween Tear and Share
Have you prepared for the spookiest day of the year yet? Put those candies aside and share the fun with this playful (and terrifying!) Halloween tear and share bread.
Note: This recipe is a variation, to be used with the Zojirushi Home Bakery Virtuoso® Plus Breadmaker (BB-PDC20). If you would like to see the ingredients and steps used for different Zojirushi breadmakers, please visit the manufacturer’s website.
Ingredients (makes two 8-inch square pans):
- 210mL (7/8 cup) milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 433g (3-1/3 cups) bread flour
- 42g (3-1/2 Tbsp.) sugar
- 5.0g (1 tsp.) salt
- 57g (2 oz.) unsalted butter
- 3.0g (1 tsp.) rapid rise yeast
- 2 tsp. special dark cocoa or cocoa
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. water
2 ready-to-use icing with decorating tips, in flavors of your choice.
You will also need two 8-inch square baking pans for this recipe.
1. As suggested in the instruction manual, prepare the bread dough using the Bread Dough ingredients listed.
2. Prepare the cocoa paste while the dough kneads. In a small bowl, add all ingredients for cocoa paste, then mix well to combine. Put the bowl aside.
3. When the DOUGH course completes, press CANCEL (or press and hold START/RESET), remove the dough and divide it in half. Place one portion back in the breadmaker and pour in the cocoa paste prepared in step 2.
4. Select the HOME MADE course. Press CYCLE button turning OFF the following: Preheat or Rest, Rise 1, Rise 2, Rise 3, Shape, Bake, Keep Warm. Select the KNEAD cycle and set to 0:08. Press CYCLE twice to record. Press START.
4. While the cocoa dough is kneading, you can start preparing the other portion. On a lightly floured board, divide the dough into 16 pieces and shape each piece into a ball in your palms. After this, cover the dough with a cloth and allow for it to rest for 20 minutes.
5. When the HOME MADE course completes, press CANCEL (or press ad hold START/RESET) and remove the cocoa dough from the baking pan. Roll the cocoa dough into a ball and divide into 16 pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
6. Line square cake pan(s) with parchment paper.
7. Arrange the balls in prepared cake pan(s) in alternating colors and spritz with water.
8. Allow to leaven in a hot place (about 30 minutes at 105°F). Preheat oven to 360°F.
9. Reduce heat to 325ºF and bake for 14-17 minutes. When the baking is complete, allow the bread to cool completely. Once cooled off, decorate with icing. The spookier the designs, the better! Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Zojirushi America Corporation